Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Great Outdoors


Last weekend was spent high in the Uintas camping and hunting with friends. Although camping was never really my thing growing up, I am making a effort to take my kids camping. An effort made even easier since the purchase of our new travel trailer. I think Aaron knew it was the only way to get me out in the great outdoors.

Anyway, we all had a blast. The weather was great and the trees with their colors blazing were amazing. Adam loved being able to shoot his BB gun and even got a few grasshoppers. Abbi was happy as long as she was riding one of the Jones' 4-wheelers, and all Alex needed was pile of dirt to keep him happy. Lucky for us, dirt is abundant in the mountains.

And, yes, Aaron got two deer while we were there. One, using the Expedition, the other was killed using an actual gun. Explain? On the way up to our campsite two deer jumped right in front of our car. The doe was able to get out of the way but her fawn was not so lucky. It was very scary but luckily we were all okay and no damage was done to our car. As for the 2nd deer, Aaron was quite the shot. Kevin scouted it out and Aaron made the final shot. He was very proud. We should be getting the meat back this week and since I have never had deer meat but heard it is not good... I am not looking forward to it. I'll let you know!

All in all it was a great camping weekend. Oh, did I mention I made my very first dutch oven treat? I made peach cobbler - it was very easy- and everyone said it was a hit! Go me! I am such the camper!
Adam having fun with his BB Gun

Abbi on the 4-wheeler

Alex digging in the dirt. He was so dirty but he had a blast!

Cheese! and crackers

Aaron with his catch - a 2 spike!

Aaron and Kevin - The mighty hunters!






3 comments:

Karen Liu said...

Go you! Although, technically, isn't that called "trailering?" Haha!

Melanie said...

Nice shot with the Expedition! Sounds like you had a fun weekend.

Rebecca said...

Sounds like you had a great time camping and hunting. Don't forget Kev wants some jerky!