Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Day 5K


Well, I did it! I actually ran (well, walked/jogged) a 5K. I swore that I would never run a 5K. I HATE running but when my sister Melanie suggested the whole family run The Utah Human Race to be held Thanksgiving morning I actually got excited and signed up. I had exactly one month to get in shape and with the whole family telling me they planned on running the entire thing, I knew I had to get my behind in gear. Aaron and I started running every morning and I really enjoyed the energy I had and how good it made me feel. Then, my knee started hurting. I mean really hurting. Like ache all day and all night kind of hurting. I couldn't even run on it. Awesome! In two weeks I was supposed to do a 5K. So, my goal of running the entire thing became simply finishing it. I quit running 2 weeks before the 5K in hopes to let my knee rest. I bought new shoes and went to the Chiropractor.

On Thanksgiving Day, Aaron and I arrived at the outlet malls with the temperature registering at 0 degrees. Yes, that is not a typo - 0 degrees. But, Allison, Ben, Matt, Karen, Kevin, Melanie, Aaron and I were totally pumped. We stretched out in what little space we had (there were over 3000 people running), and waited for our "wave" to start.

We all set off at different paces. In fact, I was pretty much left in the dust. However, somewhere along the way I passed Melanie who stopped to tie her shoe. Every once in a while I caught a glimpse of Aaron ahead of me. I finished the race at 35 mins. 01 sec. My all-time best time. I know that is not the fastest time but for my first 5K I thought it was pretty great! I was so proud of myself. I did it! It was seriously so much fun and the best part was doing it with my family. I think we are all planning on making this a family tradition.

Yay Team McGee!

8 comments:

The Tews said...

Yay! You did it! That is awesome. I can't believe it was that cold - yikes. That is a bummer about your knee, any idea what the issue is? So maybe we should work towards a SLREO/Sold By Design 10k next fall. :)

Allison said...

We are totally awesome! I can't wait to do it again, but next time I am hoping it is a little warmer. It seriously was so fun!

Rebecca said...

I'm so proud of all of you! You were great . . . you all completed the race with injuries and all! Maybe I'll join you next year!

Heather said...

Way to go!! Sounds awesome except for the O degree part!!:)

Susan Byers said...

Great accomplishment!

Karen Liu said...

Yay, Andrea! That was so fun! I'm so glad we all did it together...0 degrees never felt so fun! BTW, where's the pic of the half naked "Indian"? lol.

Marshall Mayhem said...

I think you did great! I never thought I'd ever like running let alone do a 5k but I like it now! Way to go!

Ashlee said...

Look at you doing a 5k! That is awesome! I want to do one this spring too. I have never done one...