Sunday, August 14, 2011

Our "Amazing" Great Urban Race

On Saturday, Aaron and I participated in the Great Urban Race.  We got to race around downtown Salt Lake City against 44 other teams figuring out clues and completing tasks in hopes of making it back to the finish line in first place all for a grand prize of $300 and a chance to go to Nationals in New Orleans. We started out at Lumpy's Bar and Grill and at 12:00 they blew the start whistle and gave us our envelope containing all 12 clues.  Rules:  You have to complete 11 out of 12 clues correctly, you can run, walk, jog, or use public transportation, you can use a gps/laptop/iPhone/whatever, and it is best to have a great phone-a-friend.  So, after the whistle blew Aaron and I ripped open our envelope and started deciphering the clues to figure out where we needed to go.  The clues were word searches, riddles, tic-tac-toe, and play on words.  We quickly figured out the easy ones and ran out the door to get to our first stop:  Ken Sander Rare Book store.  Here, we had to answer 4 questions correctly in order to get our stamp.  We quickly completed the task and ran back outside.  At this point we decided to figure out the rest of the clues and come up with some sort of game plan as to where we needed to go so we didn't backtrack.  The next stop was to a cafe where we had to peel a potato.  From there, we ran all over downtown Salt Lake Completing the clues.  Our final clue was to take a picture in front of the SL Olympic clock at a certain time.  When we got there, 4 other teams were there and Aaron told me we would have to run to the finish line.  At this point we had been running pretty much non-stop for 2 hours - I was exhausted, but I said I could.  But, after listening to the other teams, I quickly realized they were not done with their clues.  YES!  So, we got our picture and ran back to the finish line.  As we turned the corner, we could see one team sitting outside the finish line and I thought "Shoot, I wonder how many other teams are done."  When we finally hit the finish line, we were told we were team number 2 but because the first team didn't have everything they needed they had a 30 minute penalty which made us TEAM #1!  We couldn't believe it!  

WE WON THE GREAT URBAN RACE!  

It was so much fun.  We got the $300 and qualified to go on to the finals in New Orleans on Nov. 12.  Will we go to Finals?  We're not sure yet, but we had a great time on this race and will definitely be doing it again next year!  Aaron and I make a great team!

A HUGE thanks to Ali and Ben for being our fantastic Phone-a-friend support team.  They did a great job figuring out some of our clues.  We couldn't have won it without you!  

Getting ready for the race to start

 Aaron with his Juice-stache at Lunaberry

Me high-fiving a stranger in uniform

Me and a stranger with 2 visible tattoos

Me in front of the White-Allgar family tree at the Family History Musuem

Aaron in front of the Gateway Sign

Aaron and I in front of the Olympic Clock at exactly 2:00

We're Team #1!


Yep, 300 smackeroos!

And, here we are with a big check!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

SUH-WEEET! Next stop....Amazing Race! Congrats! That sounds like it was a blast. Whatcha gonna do with your winnings?! :)

Allison said...

How fun! So glad you guys got to participate in this since you have a love for the Amazing Race (perhaps I should start watching the show too!) Awesome job in winning out of 45 teams, I probably would have been dead last.

Also, I love the tattoo guy, he looks super fun!

Susan Byers said...

Congrats on winning! You better stay from Wendover or you might lose it all!

Rebecca said...

I have to say that when you told me you were going to do this I said to myself. "They're going to win!" And you did! Congrats on winning! You guys are awesome! Now go win in New Orleans!

Karen Liu said...

Congratulations! I completely forgot to mention it this morning. This is hilarious. I am so impressed by your skills! WOOHOO! Way to represent! lol.